So, my most recently completed mosaic derailed me a bit because, God forbid, IT WASN"T ON MY LIST. It happened purely by happenstance. No planning, no mulling things over in my head for years (or a decade). Nope, this baby was birthed quickly. And I barely had time to catch it.
My wonderfully talented artist friend Blair (please visit her website) had given me a tempered glass shelf to use in my kids mosaic class. This particular shelf was made of glass that was a bit thicker than the tempered glass I had used before, but I broke it anyway. Once I did, I realized that there were practically microscopic shards barely visible within the other larger glass bits. I debated for a minute, but then made the decision not to use it for my class since I would be working with children. As unlikely as it was, there was the small risk of these little glass splinters lodging in little tiny hands.
When the glass broke, not all of it broke into tiny little pieces. Most of it remained fairly intact. In fact, I noticed that the beautiful lines within it looked somewhat like a wing. And then I spotted another wing. "How exciting!" Okay, it was more like, "Well, great, I'm not using it for my class, so now I've got to do something with this pretty quickly to get if off my floor." So right then and there this planner did something serendipitously spontaneous. I grabbed a substrate, crossed my fingers that it was adequately prepared to accept its fate, and adhered those wings. Now what?
I had been collecting some beautiful brightly colored tesserae that was scheduled to become a vibrant funky floral. I'm typically partial to a coastal palette or monochromatic whites and blacks, and I had been excited to delve into this more vivid and fun collar palette for my flower. Hmmm. I really didn't want to use that glass for this new project that was evolving way too fast, but I knew it would be perfect for it. "Crap. I guess I will". So, I did.
Below is a slideshow showing how it all came together. I changed my mind a few times as to the sequence of colors. I also wasn't pleased with the vibrancy of the pink grout, so I tinted it. This is not quite a dragonfly and not quite a damselfly, so I titled it Dreamselfly which sounds like "Dreams 'll fly" if you're a lazy Southerner like me, or it could be a play on the words "dreams" and "self". As with most of my mosaics, I wrote a poem to go along with it, which includes the analogy of dreams flitting around and then dashing off like a dragonfly, but I'm not brave enough to share it here. So, I won't.